Are you looking for grey cat names? We’ve got a fantastic list of name ideas for you, including options that are cute, strong, funny, inspired by nature, and more.
Sleek, striking, and slightly mysterious, cats with grey coloring are gorgeous creatures. The color grey is all the rage right now, from countless grey interior decorations to articles declaring that “grey is the new beige.”
But owners of grey cats were all about grey before it was trendy!
If you decide to bring a grey cat into your home, we have excellent names for grey cats we’d love to share with you.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Color
Here’s a no-brainer: Why not give your cat a name based on its grey color? Check out these grey kitten names inspired by color and see what you think.
- Earl Grey
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Fur Pattern
Many cats aren’t solid grey. Instead, their fur can have stripes, patches, and other distinctive patterns.
The pattern and style of your grey cat’s fur can provide great inspiration for a unique, personalized name for your kitten.
- Salt ‘n Pepper
Names Inspired by Nature
If you look around outside, you’ll notice that nature is full of grey colors—the stones in a park, the sky during a storm, the smoke from a fire.
Take a look outside, and you’ll find surprising names that are original and beautiful. Here are some examples.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Other Animals
Many other animals are well known for being grey. So, how fun would it be to name your feline after one of these creatures?
By naming your cat after another grey animal, you’ll recognize your cat’s fur color and provide a good laugh for others.
Cartoon Grey Cats
Cartoons are another great place to look for grey cat name inspiration.
Sure, orange and black cats seem to be much more prevalent, but plenty of grey cats have graced TV and movie screens. Here are some of the most famous cat names.
- Berlioz (from The Aristocats)
- Diana (from Sailor Moon)
- Fritz (from Fritz the Cat)
- Mr. Business (Bob’s Burgers)
- Mr. Kitty (South Park)
- Nermal (from Garfield)
- Rita (from Animaniacs)
- Scat Cat (from The Aristocats)
- Scratchy (Itchy & Scratchy from The Simpsons)
- Snowball (The Simpsons)
- Tom (of Tom & Jerry fame)
Other Popular Grey Characters
Many other charismatic, adorable grey characters have captured our hearts. These, too, make for charming names for grey cats.
Below are some of the most popular grey characters and cartoons in history.
- Albus (Dumbledore – grey-bearded wizard from Harry Potter)
- Baloo (from The Jungle Book)
- Bugs (as in Bugs Bunny)
- Donkey (from Shrek)
- Dumbo (from Dumbo, of course)
- Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh)
- Komala (from Pokemon)
- Meeko (from Pocahontas)
- Rocky (from The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends)
- Thumper (from Bambi)
Funny Grey Cat Names
Funny names are also a good choice, and these funny ideas are perfect for grey furballs. Look at the list below and get ready to laugh out loud.
- Alexander the Gray
- Anastasia Gray
- Dorian Gray
- Earl Grey
- Fenrir Grayback
- Gandalf the Gray
- Grey Worm
- Grey Gatsby
- Grey Poupon
- Iron Man
- Jennifer Grey
- Lady Grey
- Meredith Grey
Tough Grey Cat Names
Some cats are born with a bit of extra grit and determination, so if you’ve got a pet that’s a little more tough and tenacious than the average cat, no matter whether male or female, these strong grey names might be up your alley.
Grey and White Cat Names
If your kitten is a blend, these names for grey and white cats will fit them exactly.
Grey and Silver in Other Languages
And finally, another great way to find a unique cat name is to explore translations in other languages.
The words grey and silver in other languages make for some pretty cool names.
- Abu-abu (grey in Indonesian)
- Argent (silver in French)
- Argento (silver in Italian)
- Arian (silver in Welsh)
- Boz (grey in Azerbaijani)
- Cawl (grey in Somali)
- Ceniza (ash in Spanish)
- Fidda (silver in Maltese)
- Grau (grey in German)
- Grigio (grey in in Italian)
- Gris (grey in French and Spanish)
- Hiriwa (silver in Maori)
- Hopea (silver in Finnish)
- Kelabu (grey in Malay)
- Liath (grey in Irish)
- Plata (silver in Spanish)
- Prata (silver in Portuguese)
- Siva (silver in Slovenian and Croatian)
- Szary (grey in Polish)
- Zilarra (silver in Basque)
More Cat Name Ideas
If you’d like even more options, try our kitten name generator!
It allows you to quickly sort by your favorite styles and themes to find the perfect name. Voila!
Some other great name lists include:
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
Here’s an important question: how do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your cat?
After years of helping new cat owners find the perfect name, here are some tips we’ve picked up along the way:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great on paper but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you become set on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue because you’ll be saying it many times a day once the cat joins your family!
- Does it fit your cat? Before committing to a name, check to see if the name matches your cat’s personality and appearance.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine calling for your cat with this name? If not, then it’s not the right choice. Move on and select something more appropriate.
- And finally, trust your gut. Ask any new cat owner; you’ll know it when you find the right name!