Unique Calico Cat Names – 73+ Perfect NamesLast updated: by Jessi Larson
Calico cat names – so many great options, how do you begin?
With a gorgeous coat made up of white, orange, and black, Calico cats are stunning creatures, and their distinctive characteristics provide great inspiration for cool names.
We’ve found some pretty awesome Calico cat names – over 70 to be exact – that are inspired by color, patterns, seasons, and more.
Have a look and find a favorite!
Cool Calico Cat Names
Here are cool, unique ways to recognize the cat’s distinct appearance through a name to start our guide to Calico cat names.
The ideas include cartoon and real-life creatures with the same coloring, fun names based on orange or the combination of orange, black and white, and so much more.
We think you’ll enjoy these names and find some excellent inspiration.
- Amber – Like the fossilized tree resin that creates a beautiful bright orange substance.
- Callie – A fun play on Calico.
- Copper – The metallic reddish brown.
- Coral – As in the orangish color.
- Ernie – The cheerful dude from Sesame Street is also orange and black.
- Garfield – The iconic cartoon cat is orange with black stripes, not far off from a Calico.
- Ginger – Calico cats do have lots of orange in their fur.
- Hazel – Hazel eyes combine multiple colors.
- Heathcliff – Another orange cartoon cat.
- Hobbes – Inspired by the orange/black/white cat from “Calvin and Hobbes.”
- Marigold – The orange color.
- Maryland – Calicos are the state cat.
- Monarch – The monarch butterfly is also comprised of orange, black and white.
- Nemo – The adorable Disney fish has the exact same coloring!
- Oliver – The orange cat from the animated film Oliver & Company.
- Oriole – The beautiful oriole bird sports the same coloring.
- Penny – The copper colored coin.
- Picasso – When you think about it, Picasso’s paintings have similar geometric shapes in bright colors.
- Poppy – The flower is often orange in color.
- Rainbow – Calico cats are made up of lots of different colors, just like a rainbow.
- Rajah – The tiger from Aladdin
- Rusty – It’s a mix of black/orange colors.
- Sepia – The reddish brown color.
- Simba – From the Lion King
- Tiger – Orange and black striped jungle cat.
- Tigger – As in the tiger from Winnie the Pooh.
- Tortie – (or Tortoise) The Calico coloring and pattern looks a whole lot like tortoiseshell.
Seasonal Calico Cat Names
The combination of orange, black and white is often associated with the fall.
How perfect is it to give your Calico cat a name inspired by this spirited season? We love this idea and think you will too!
Check out these names and see if any are a fit for your new furbaby.
- Autumn – The fall season just screams Calico colors, and Autumn is a gorgeous name.
- Pumpkin – A list of Calico cat names wouldn’t be complete without Pumpkin. So cute, so fitting.
- Harvest – An earthy, beautiful name fitting of the fall.
- Leaf – Like the orange leaves that are everywhere this time of year.
- Candy – When it comes to Calico cats, you have to think of Halloween, and the best part of this holiday is the candy!
- Boo – Halloween also brings lots of scares. Boo! This name is so cute.
- October – Of course, Halloween is in October.
- Trick – And there’s no trick without the treat.
Like the idea of names inspired by Halloween? Check out our guide to Halloween cat names.
Calico Cat Names Inspired By Food
Who knew that there were so many food-related names that work perfectly for Calico cats?
We were pretty surprised!
These yummy names reflect the Calico cool coloring and are unique, fun, and perfect for this type of cat.
- Amaretto – Inspired by the sweet, orange-looking liquor.
- Apricot – Reddish orange fruit. (Or Apricat for fun!)
- Brandy – The caramel-colored hard alcohol.
- Butterscotch – This delicious sweet is a buttery yellow/orange.
- Caramel – A beige/orange delicious dessert.
- Cayenne – The hot chili pepper is an orangish-red.
- Cheeto – Like the orange, cheesy snack!
- Cheddar – Based on the bright cheese, of course.
- Chestnut -– A brown/orangey colored nut
- Clementine – Like the cute orange fruit. An adorable name!
- Cookie – How cute is this name?
- Honey – Cute name with an orange tint.
- Julius – Like an Orange Julius.
- Maizie – After Maize the multicolored corn
- Nectarine – The yummy orange fruit.
- Paprika – After the reddish orange spice
- Peaches – As in the delicious fruit.
- Pumpkin – The Autumn favorite.
- Reese – Named after Reese’s Pieces. Think about it.
- Rolo – As in the caramel chocolate candy;
- Saffron – A bright orange/reddish spice.
- Snickers – A delicious chocolate, caramel, nougat and peanut combination.
- Spice – Calico cats just have the look of spice colors!
- Sundae – Sundaes are often vanilla ice cream with caramel and chocolate. It’s like if a Calico cat were turned into a dessert.
- Twix – The candy bar combines chocolate, caramel and a biscuit, which looks a lot like Calico colors.
- Turtle – A turtle dessert combines caramel and chocolate. Hmmm, those colors are awfully close to the Calico!
Calico Cat Names Based on Fur Pattern
Calico cats have a distinct pattern that provides fantastic inspiration for names.
We love the idea of Calico cat names inspired by your pet’s unique coat and think you’ll find lots of inspiration in the options below.
- Patches – The best way to describe the Calico’s fur, and it’s super cute!
- Spot – Calico cats often have spots. And this name is simply adorable.
- Camo – Like camouflage.
- Marble – The pattern also has a marbled effect.
- Pixel – The small dots that make up a larger image.
- Freckles – The Calico’s specks can almost look like freckles. Adorbs.
- Inky – The specks of black have almost an inky appearance.
- Dot – The Calico coloring can sometimes look like dots.
- Pebbles – Or like pebbles. (How cute is this name?)
- Speckles – An adorable way to describe the pattern in the Calico’s fur.
- Mosaic – Last but not least, the Calico fur creates a beautiful pattern, like a mosaic.
- Harlequin – As in the harlequin pattern.
Want Even More Great Name Ideas?
If these cat names don’t quite fit your fur baby, don’t worry – we’ve got thousands of other ideas you might like.
After all, a striking, gorgeous cat like a Calico deserves a name fitting its adorable appearance.
Start by checking out our cat name search engine, where you can sort by your favorite style or theme.
Or check out these popular categories:
What Exactly is a Calico cat?
Let’s take a look at the fascinating genetics of these cats. Calico refers to the pattern of the cat, not its breed.
Fascinatingly, because the genetic determination of some cat coat colors is linked to the X chromosome, nearly all Calico cats are female. The few Calico males generally have impaired vitality and are almost always sterile. Learn more about their genetic makeup – it’s fascinating!
Cat breeds that allow Calico coloration are the American Shorthair, British Shorthair, Manx, Persian, Turkish Van, Exotic Shorthair, and Japanese Bobtail. Most cats with the orange mutant gene originated from Egypt and can be traced back to port cities along the Mediterranean in Italy, Spain, Greece, and France.
Today Calico is a popular term for the color pattern in North America, while the coloring is usually called tortoiseshell-and-white outside of the continent.
Cats with calico tri-coloring are considered good luck in many cultures. For example, in the United States, they’re sometimes referred to as money cats.
Luck aside, owners of Calico cats are passionate about their pets. Don’t believe me? Check out this list about why Calico cats are the best.
Conclusion: Calico Cat Names
We hope you found inspiration in our guide to Calico cat names. Our list of 50+ ideas has names based on color, cool characters, food, pattern, and so much more.
And don’t forget, if you have other ideas for Calico cat names, we’d love to hear them. Let us know below.
We use your ideas to keep our site updated and full of the very best cat names possible!
Since I have many torties/torbies (calicos), here are my names: LuvBug, Reese, Zelda, Luma and I had a Brandi. Looking to get a male calico and using one of the names listed above Thanks for the ideas!!
Besides the rare actual Calico male, who are always sterile and short lived, there is the real “Calico” male and that is the strong and very healthy Ginger Tom.. A pleasure to have around, frankly and very intelligent….
Harvey or Quinn. Some might get the geek reference, for those that don’t, think Batman.
I lost my baby girl (Calico) late last year after a very long 10 years, her name was Chloe. I just got a new baby girl (Calico) and came here looking for a name for her because I have no idea what I want to name her, but, right now it’s a toss-up between Eve/Evie, Ginger, and Lily.
I named mine Gizmo, nicknames are Gizzy, Giz, And Gizzy Girl… like the gremlin gizmo, cute and sweet.. with a dark side lol. I love my Gizz
I have 3 calico cats, well 1~18.y/o, 1~3 month/o and 1~8 weeks. Their names in order are: Shelly, Callie and Reese. Shelly got her name because of the resemblance to a tortoise shell. They are each unique in their coloring and I just love them to pieces! It’s not going to be easy when Shelly is gone as she is getting to be pretty old for a cat.
Hi I just got 2 kittens and they are not adjustin well to my resident cats, how dis you get yours to get used to each other, thanks
I have now 17 kitties with a new rescue just arriving this week at 4-5 weeks old found herself dumped.
They will have their spats from time to time but all mine get over it pretty quick.
It’s not often I have to intervien.
Just give them time and they will get used to each other.
I just lost my Siamese cat over a month ago had her for 18 years and I just got a baby calico today having a hard time thinking of a name for her, thanks for the ideas!
I lost my cat of 12.5 years recently. Am getting a Calico Maine Coon kitten at the end of February. Having trouble finding a name for her. Have a picture but have not met her. I love my last cat’s name but don’t want to use it on another cat. Any suggestions.
I am adopting a calico and will be naming naming her Pebbles.
I have had two calicos in the past and just got a 8 week old. My first was named precious, the other tiger lily. They were the best. Now trying to name the new one.
I named mine Pocahontas 😍😘
I just lost my cat “Boo” whom was a flame point. He was such a good boy and lived to be 18 1/2. I have waited one year and now I am getting a Calico. I believe I have choosen a name “Saffron or Chole”. I am meeting her Sunday, I just know one of those names are going to fit her just right. Thank you…
Named mine Rory as shortened for Rorschach because her face looks one!
We named our Palette for her many vibrant colors and patterns.
I have two Patches and daughter Callie..
I named my calico cat Tiger Lily.
I named my calico pound kitty Calista because she was so skinny like Calista Flockhart was at the time, but I liked the Cal beginning part too for Calico.
We have a girl kitten and have named her Katniss :)
We named ours Trio, for her three colors :)
My Persian Whisper just had a calico kitten I named her Trinity. 3 signifies so much she was born on the last of the 3 the supermoons 3rd month March on Wed 3 day my cat woke me up at 3 am in labor she had her 630 am this is whispers 3rd litter and I’m a Irish hippie witch so triquatra is my symbol n heritage significant impact of 3 ☽ symbolizes the goddess which means maid maiden n crone mind body soul ☽☮☾
She is also tri colored orange gray n white
I named mine that is now 2 Treble :) like the music note 🎼
My calico’s name is S’Mores. She is so lovable.
I have a 20 year old beautiful calico. Up until 2 months ago she has been in perfect health and a perfect part of our family . Her name is Ember ❤️
KALEIDO, like a kaleidoscope
(PRONOUNCED) KALIDA FOR A CALICO
I like the name Kali Kal
My Maine Coone passed earlier this yead; he was age 15. I was grieving greatly, when very good friends showed me a picture of a 4 week Calico. I said I’d take her in a heartbeat! Then they said she was promised to someone else, and I was disappointed.
A few weeks later, after breakfast one morning, this Calico was given to me! Oh, how I cried with joy! The woman who gave her up for me was named Roxanne, so I named my beautiful Calico “ROXIE.”
The name is perfect! She has soft, beautiful long hair. She’s spunky AND loving. What a sweetheart. I love her name and it suits her perfectly! Most of all, I love my special Calico, ROXIE! ❤
Over the years we’ve had Calico cats named Patches, Peppercorn (Pepper for short) Evie and now Pixel (Pixie).
I recently lost my calico to seizures..her name was Harleigh Quinn (harlequin) as she had white diamonds down her back. She’s missed. I still have a 6 yr old calico named Ziva Daveed (NCIS) who i also adore!
I’m thinking “Hershey” for our new calico. She’s a marble of dark, light and white chocolate.
My girl is Barnacle Billie the Sailor Kitty
Wish I could send a photo.
Galaxy; for the marbling on her back
Chai; like a good spicy Indian tea
Flame; for her streak of orange on the forehead
KittyBits; for the little bits of color
I’m adopting a calico kitten and I am going to name her either Pumpkin or bella
I named my little Calico baby Neapolitan and we call her Nia for short for short
Molly is the CUTEST name for a Calico cat!
I just got a female calico n i named her prissy cause she’s such a lil diva lol i also call her prissy pooh…she’s such a loving n affectionate lil baby, she was actually my neighbors cat n she started coming up the street to my house a cpl weeks ago n i tried to send her home n my neighbors actually came to get her a cpl times but she refuses to leave me so the neighbors just told me to go ahead n keep her since she’s happier with me n im glad they did that cause i couldn’t bring myself to let her go i love the lil munchkin already lol
A lot of those names I already have ,lol. But I ha e 2 dark calicos named daisy and lil’ diva
We just adopted a baby calico. We came here to find a name and have decided to name her Reese. Not only a favorite candy but it fits her perfectly.
I don’t believe I saw my pretty calico kitties name on here yet we named ours comet with the nickname roku which is star in Japanese. Lovely article. Cheers**
LEO also good name
We named our calico Tudy because even though she has white on her she has more than her share of tortie-tude.
I just got a new calico kitten and I’m naming her Trixie. I got the idea from the suggestion Twix. Thanks a lot!
103 us Hwy 36