Unique Calico Cat Names – 44 Perfect Names to Check Out
by Jessi Klein
Calico cat names – so many great options, how do you begin?
Well, with a gorgeous coat made up of white, orange and black, Calico cats are unique, interesting creatures, and their distinctive characteristics provide great inspiration for cool names.
We’ve found some pretty awesome Calico cat names – 44 to be exact – that are inspired by color, patterns, seasons and more.
Have a looksy!
Cool Calico Cat Names
These names are fun and unique ways to recognize the Calico’s distinct appearance.
- Amber – Like the fossilized tree resin that creates a beautiful bright orange substance.
- Callie – A fun play on Calico.
- Ernie – The cheerful dude from Sesame Street is also orange and black.
- Ginger – Calico cats do have lots of orange in their fur.
- Hobbes – Inspired by the orange/black/white cat from “Calvin and Hobbes.”
- Maryland – Calicos are the state cat
- Monarch – The monarch butterfly is also comprised of orange, black and white.
- Nemo – The adorable Disney fishy has the exact same coloring!
- Oriole – The beautiful oriole bird sports the same coloring.
- Penny – The copper colored coin
- Picasso – When you think about it, Picasso’s paintings have similar geometric shapes in bright colors.
- Rainbow – Calico cats are made up of lots of different colors, just like a rainbow.
- Rajah – The tiger from Aladdin
- Rusty – Mix of black/orange colors.
- Simba – From the Lion King
- Tiger – Orange and Black striped jungle cat.
- Tortie/Tortoise –The Calico coloring and pattern looks an awful lot like tortoiseshell.
Seasonal Calico Cat Names
The combination of orange, black and white is often associated with the fall.
- Autumn – The fall season just screams Calico colors, and Autumn is a gorgeous name.
- Pumpkin – A list of Calico cat names wouldn’t be complete without Pumpkin. So cute, so fitting.
- Harvest – An earthy, beautiful name fitting of the fall.
- Leaf – Like the orange leaves that are everywhere this time of year.
- Candy – When it comes to Calico cats, you have to think of Halloween, and the best part of this holiday is the candy!
- Boo – Halloween also brings lots of scares. Boo! This name is so cute.
- October – Of course, Halloween is in October.
- Trick – And there’s no trick without the treat.
Calico Cat Names Inspired By Food
Who knew that there were so many food-related names that work perfectly for Calico cats?
- Amaretto – Inspired by the sweet, orange-looking liquor.
- Apricot – Reddish orange fruit.
- Butterscotch – This delicious sweet is a buttery yellow/orange.
- Caramel – A beige/orange delicious dessert.
- Cheeto – Like the orange, cheesy snack!
- Cheddar – Based on the bright cheese, of course.
- Chestnut – a brown/orangey colored nut
- Clementine – Like the cute orange fruit. An adorable name!
- Cookie – How cute is this name?
- Honey – Cute name with an orange tint.
- Julius – Like an Orange Julius.
- Maizie – After Maize the multicolored corn
- Paprika – After the reddish orange spice
- Peaches – Delicious fruit.
- Pumpkin – Autumn favorite.
- Reese – Named after Reese’s Pieces. Think about it.
- Saffron – A bright orange/reddish spice.
- Snickers – A delicious chocolate, caramel, nougat and peanut combination.
- Spice – Calico cats just have the look of spice colors!
- Sundae – Sundaes are often vanilla ice cream with caramel and chocolate. It’s like if a Calico cat were turned into a dessert.
- Turtle – A turtle dessert combines caramel and chocolate. Hmmm, those colors are awfully close to the Calico!
Calico Cat Names Based on Fur Pattern
Calico cats have a distinct pattern that provides awesome inspiration for names.
- Patches – The best way to describe the Calico’s fur, and it’s super cute!
- Camo – Like camouflage.
- Marble – The pattern also has a marbled effect.
- Pixel – The small dots that make up a larger image.
- Freckles – The Calico’s specks can almost look like freckles. Adorbs.
- Inky – The specks of black have almost an inky appearance.
- Dot – The Calico coloring can sometimes look like dots.
- Pebbles – Or like pebbles. (How cute is this name?)
- Speckles – An adorable way to describe the pattern in the Calico’s fur.
- Mosaic – Last but not least, the Calico fur creates a beautiful pattern, like a mosaic.
More Fun Ideas
What exactly is a Calico cat?
Let’s take a look into the fascinating genetics of these cats. Calico actually refers to the pattern of the cat, not its breed.
Fascinatingly, because genetic determination of some cat coat colors is linked to the X chromosome, nearly all Calico cats are female. The few Calico males generally have impaired vitality and are almost always sterile. Learn more about their genetic makeup – it’s fascinating!
Cat breeds that allow Calico coloration are the American Shorthair, British Shorthair, Manx, Persian, Turkish Van, Exotic Shorthair and Japanese Bobtail. The majority of cats with the orange mutant gene originated from Egypt and can be traced back to port cities along the Mediterranean in Italy, Spain, Greece and France.
Today Calico is a popular term for the color pattern in North America, while the coloring is more usually called tortoiseshell-and-white outside of the continent.
Cats with the calico tri-coloring are considered good luck in many cultures. In the United States, for example, they’re sometimes referred to as money cats.
Luck aside, owners of Calico cats are passionate about their pets. Don’t believe me? Check out this list about why Calico cats are the best.
If you have other ideas for Calico cat names, we’d love to hear them. Let us know below.