Irish Cat Names – 65+ Great Irish Names for Your New CatLast updated: by Jessi Larson
As new pet owners, one of the first things we want to do is find the perfect name for our baby furballs. It can be overwhelming – there are so many great options for names! Where do you begin? Irish cat names are unique and lively, so why not start there.
With a rich history that dates back to 10,500 BC, Ireland is known for its gorgeous landscape, legendary folklore, and joyful merriment. Today, people worldwide celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, an Irish holiday on March 17, recognizing Saint Patrick, the foremost patron saint of Ireland.
If you have Irish heritage or simply love the Irish culture, you’ll want to check out these Irish cat names.
Traditional Male Irish Cat Names
These names are distinctly Irish. To give the full context of the traditional names, we’ve included their conventional meanings.
- Flannery – red skinned
- Conan – little wolf
- Murphy – sea warrior
- Gallagher – foreign helper
- Kieran – little dark one (a great name for dark-furred cats!)
- Finnegan – fair or white (a great name for white cats!)
- Donovan – little dark prince
- Aidan – little fire
- Doyle – dark stranger
- Finley – fair hero
- Kirby – from the church farm
- Cillian – little church or little war
- Carney – victorious
- Shane – God’s gracious gift
- Ronan – little seal
- Liam – a strong-willed warrior
- Fionn – fair or white
- Rys – ardor, enthusiasm
- Cormac – son
- Eamon – guardian of the riches
- Darcy – dark
- Finn – small blond soldier
- Niall – champion
- Quinn – wise
- Tierney – lord, master
- Rory – red king
Traditional Female Irish Cat Names
Beautiful and spunky, traditional female Irish names are so fun for your girl cat!
- Kira – black
- Erin – Ireland, land of abundance
- Sheena – God is gracious
- Rosalyn – beautiful, pretty rose
- Orla – golden princess
- Lia – bearer of good news
- Muriel – sea, bright
- Glenda – holy and good
- Breana – Strong, virtuous, honorable
- Cadie –a rhythmic flow of sounds
- Shanna – possessor of wisdom
- Sybil – fortune teller
- Brigid – power, strength, virtue
- Ciara – dark-haired
- Deirdre – woman
- Fiona – white or fair
- Iona – purple jewel
- Meara – merry disposition
- Saoirse – freedom
- Sinead – God forgave
- Siobhan – God is gracious
Irish Cat Names Based on Location
Ireland is home to many historic cities, fascinating landmarks, and beautiful bodies of water that you can turn into cool cat names.
- Dublin – the capital and largest city or Ireland
- Cork – a famous city in the southwest of Ireland
- Galway – gorgeous city in the west of Ireland
- Limerick – ancient Irish city
- Kilkenny – a popular tourist destination located in southeast Ireland
- Belfast – capital and largest city of Northern Ireland
- Blarney – a town in Ireland that is home to the famed Blarney Castle and legendary Blarney Stone
- Cashel – inspired by the Rock of Cashel, an ancient, hilltop fortress
- Liffey – gorgeous River Liffey flows through the center of Dublin
Other Fun Irish Cat Names
Ireland provides so much inspiration for cat names. Here are other favorites.
- Guinness – now one of the most famous beers in the world, Guinness Irish Stout got its start in Dublin and is still produced there today
- Jameson – inspired by Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Bailey – Bailey’s Irish Cream, a whiskey and cream liquor, is made by Gilbeys of Ireland
- Smithwick – an Irish red ale-style beer from Kilkenny, Ireland
- Lucky – you can’t forget the luck of the Irish!
- Leprechaun – mischievous little character in Irish history
- Patrick – a tribute to St. Patrick’s day, the world-famous Irish celebration
- Shamrock – a young spring of clover and the national symbol of Ireland
- Clover – of course there’s the green four-leaf clover
- Rain – Ireland is full of rain
- Gael – a name for a person who is a native Irish speaker or from Ireland
- Celt – medieval people in Europe who once lived in Ireland
Do you love these Irish cat names? We adore their charm and distinct feel. If they’re not for you, don’t leave yet. Try out other international names for British cat names and Italian cat names.
love this site!!!
Thanks! You helped us name our two new male kittens!
Awesome, glad you found it helpful!
Thanks ever so much just found a name for my new baby furball. X
Just decided to name my black kitten, Kira! Thank you!
So did i!
Just named ours Lil Murphy since he keeps trying to take baths with us. Lol
You should add Teagan to the list, it means beautiful.
Named my male cat Tierney. He is living up to his name and controls the female cats
My brother and sisters names are up there. They are people names!
Named my Ginger Tabby Paddy.