Game of Thrones Cat NamesLast updated: by Kyle Larson
Game of Thrones is one of the most popular fantasy novel & tv series of all time. If you’re a fan of GOT and getting a new kitten, these Game of Thrones cat names might be a perfect match.
This list of 80+ Game of Thrones cat names includes people, places, creatures and more from the fantasy world.
Female Game of Thrones Cat Names
- Arya – The middle Stark child, Arya is scrappy tomboy who seeks justice for all the crimes committed against her family.
- Brienne – As in Brienne of Tarth, a fierce warrior who is unusually tall and muscular for a woman and can outfight almost any man.
- Catelyn – Wife of Ned Stark, Catelyn is a fiercely devoted mother to her five children, Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. This name could fit nicely with a cat (pronounced cat-lynn).
- Cersei – Cersei Lannister was once queen of the Seven Kingdoms through her marriage to King Robert Baratheon. Although bitter and glib, Cersei is fiercely loyal to and protective of those she loves, including her three children, Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen, and her brother Jamie, with whom she has a special relationship.
- Daenerys – One of the main characters on GOT, Daenerys Targaryen is determined to retake the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She has three dragons, giving her the nickname “The Mother of Dragons.” She also goes by Dany for short.
- Ellaria – Ellaria Sand is the paramour of Prince Oberyn Martell from Dorne and “mother” to the Sand Snakes.
- Gilly – Sweet Gilly is a wilding and Craster daughter who forms a relationship with Samwell Tarly.
- Khaleesi – Daenerys also goes by Khaleesi, which means queen in Dothraki.
- Lyanna – Lyanna is the name of two important characters in Game of Thrones. First there is Lyanna Stark, the beautiful and fearless sister of Ned Stark whose alleged kidnapping by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen contributed to the outbreak of Robert’s Rebellion. It’s also the name of Lady Lyanna Mormont, the young, feisty leader of Bear Island.
- Margaery – Beautiful and clever, Margaery Tyrell becomes Queen Consort through her marriage to King Joffrey Baratheon, and later his younger brother Tommen.
- Meera – The daughter of Howland Reed, Meera Reed joins Bran Stark and his crew on their journey beyond the Wall.
- Melisandre – Often referred to as the Red Woman, Melisandre is a Red Priestess in the religion of R’hllor, the Lord of Light, and a close counsellor to Stannis Baratheon. This makes a great name for a female cat with red coloring!
- Missandei – A former slave, Missandei now serves as Daenerys’s trusted advisor and handmaiden.
- Myrcella – Although she goes by Myrcella Baratheon, she is actually the daughter of Cersei and Jamie Lannister. She is the only sister of Joffrey and Tommen.
- Olenna – Fan-favorite Lady Olenna Tyrell is the sharp-tongued matriarch of House Tyrell.
- Osha – Osha is a wilding who joins the service of House Stark.
- Sansa – The eldest daughter of Ned and Catelyn Stark, Sansa is proper and polite and dreams of becoming a queen. All that changes, however, as her character experiences one horrific event after another, eventually learning how to play the game.
- Shae – Feisty and strong, Shae is a prostitute who begins exclusive relationship with Tyrion Lannister but eventually betrays him.
- Yara – A member of the Greyjoy family of the Iron Islands, Yara is a fierce warrior and commands her own longship
- Ygritte – A woman of the Free Folk who lived north of the Wall, Ygritte was part of Mance Rayder’s army and became the lover of Jon Snow.
Male Game of Thrones Cat Names
- Aemon – An advisors in the Night’s Watch, Aemon Targaryen is the last known Targaryen in Westeros.
- Benjen – Brother of Ned Stark, Benjen is a the First Ranger of the Night’s Watch who mysteriously disappears and reappears.
- Bran – Son of Eddard and Catelyn Stark, Bran is a warg and currently the new Three-Eyed Raven, using his supernatural gifts to assist his family in the war against the White Walkers.
- Bronn – A skilled sellsword, Bronn provides plenty of comic relief in GOT with his quick-witter zingers.
- Daario – Originally a lieutenant in the Second Sons, Daario Naharis aligns with Daenerys Targaryen and serves as her advisor and enforcer.
- Davos – As in Ser Davos Seaworth, a reformed smuggler also known as the Onion Knight. He is a trusted advisor to Stannis Baratheon.
- Gendry – Fan-favorite Gendry is a skilled blacksmith and an unacknowledged bastard son of King Robert Baratheon.
- Grey Worm – Commander of the Unsullied, Grey Worm is another member of Daenerys Targaryen’s inner circle.
- Hodor – Aw, Hodor. The beloved character is a simpleminded servant at Winterfell who helps care for and transport Bran after his injury. Given the character’s extra large size, the name Hodor is especially applicable for plus-sized cats.
- The Hound – The nickname for Sandor Clegane, the former bodyguard of Prince Joffrey who has a redemptive story arc.
- Jamie – Ser Jaime Lannister is the eldest son of Tywin, younger twin brother of Cersei, and older brother of Tyrion Lannister. His nickname is “Kingslayer,” given to him after infamously backstabbing King Aerys Targaryen during the sack of King’s Landing.
- Joffrey – Oh, Joffrey, the character we love to hate. The evil, psychopathic young king was beloved by his mother Cersei Lannister and no one else. When it comes to Game of Thrones cat names, this is certainly a fun idea, especially if you have a kitty with a hint of naughtiness.
- Jon Snow – Introduced as the illegitimate son of Ned Stark, Jon Snow is a top protagonist in both the GOT books and TV show. He is solemn and guarded with strong morales. This is certainly a fun name if you are a GOT fan!
- Jaqen H’ghar – The mysterious Jaqen H’ghar is actually an assumed identity of one of the Faceless Men of Braavos, a feared order of mysterious assassins.
- Jojen – Young Jojen Reed accompanies Bran and his group on a journey beyond the wall to find the Three-Eyed Raven.
- Jorah – A formerly exiled Northern lord from Westero, Jorah Mormont has sworn loyalty to Daenerys Targaryen and serves as her loyal companion.
- Khal Drogo – A tough Dothraki warrior who ultimately had a heart of gold, Khal Drogo is the first husband of Daenerys Targaryen.
- Little Finger – The nickname for Petyr Baelish, the Master of Coin and a skilled manipulator who essentially puts into motion the major conflict in Westeros.
- The Mountain – The Mountain is the nickname for Gregor Clegane, older brother of Sandor. He is a notoriously fearsome and much-feared warrior.
- Ned Stark – Once the head of House Stark, Ned Stark famously lost his head when he was executed on orders from King Joffrey, thus setting off the War of the Five Kings.
- Oberyn – Prince Oberyn Martell, also called the Red Viper of Dorne, shook things up on GOT when he came to King’s Landing looking for revenge.
- Olly – A farm boy who fled to the Night’s Watch after his village was attacked by the Free Folk, Olly becomes the personal steward of Jon Snow.
- Podrick – Podrick Payne is Tyrion Lannister’s former squire who comes into the service of Brienne of Tarth.
- Ramsay – If you’ve got a cat that’s on the crazy side, this name could be a good fit. Ramsay Snow is the sadistic son of Roose Bolton who wreaks terror on many GOT characters.
- Renly – Youngest of the Baratheon brothers, the friendly and popular Renly Baratheon tried to lay claim to the Iron Throne.
- Rhaegar – Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was the eldest son and heir to King Aerys II Targaryen. His “abduction” of Lyanna sparked Robert’s Rebellion and ultimately led to the end of Targaryen rule.
- Rickon – Rickon Stark doesn’t get as much airtime as his older Stark siblings, but still, he has an interesting role to play.
- Robb – As in Robb Stark, the eldest son of Ned and Catelyn Stark and the older brother of Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon.
- Samwell – A steward in the Night’s Watch, Samwell Tarly is Jon Snow’s closest friend. You can name your cat Samwell or Tarly – or use his full name!
- Ser Pounce – Tommen Baratheon’s pet cat
- Stannis – The younger brother of King Robert Baratheon and older brother of Renly Baratheon, Stannis wages an unsuccessful battle to win the Iron Throne.
- Tommen – Poor sweet, gullible Tommen Baratheon. He is the total opposite of his brother Joffrey but still meets a tragic end.
- Tormund – A fan-favorite character, Tormund Giantsbane is a renowned leader among the Free Folk who unites with Jon Snow to fight the Whitewalkers.
- Tyrion – Tyrion Lannister is the youngest child of Lord Tywin Lannister and younger brother of Cersei and Jaime Lannister. A dwarf, he uses his wit and intellect to overcome the prejudice he faces.
- Tywin – The head of House Lannister, Tywin Lannister is considered one of the richest and most powerful people in the world.
- Varys – Also called the Spider, Varys is a eunuch that is also known as the Master of Whisperers.
- Walder Frey – Walder Frey is a slippery character who orchestrated the infamous Red Wedding.
Game of Thrones Cat Names Inspired By The Direwolves
In Game of Thrones, direwolves are an unusually large and intelligent species of wolf that is near-mythical in most of the south of Westeros. Early on, the Stark family comes across a litter of six direwolf puppies, and each child adopts one.
While these names belong to wolves, they are pretty cool sounding names for cats as well (we did leave out shaggydog, another one of the direwolves)
- Ghost – Ghost is adopted and raised by Jon Snow. Ghost is an albino with white fur and red eyes. Though he was the runt of the litter when he was born, he quickly grew to be as big as the rest of his siblings.
- Grey Wind – Grey Wind is adopted and raised by Robb Stark
- Lady – And last but not least is Lady, the direwolf belonging to Sansa Stark.
- Nymeria – Nymeria is adopted and raised by Arya Stark. After she leaves Arya, she becomes the leader of a huge wolf pack in the Riverlands.
- Summer – Summer is adopted and raised by Bran Stark and accompanies him when he travels north of The Wall.
Game of Thrones Cat Names Inspired By Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen is mother to three dragons, the first the world has seen in hundreds of years. These certainly make unique, playful Game of Thrones cat names!
- Drogon – Drogon is named after Daenerys’s late husband Khal Drogo. He is distinguished by his black and red colored scales and red-black wings and is the dragon that Daenerys rides.
- Rhaegal – Daenerys named Rhaegal after her eldest brother, Rhaegar. As far as his appearance goes, he has green and bronze colored scales and yellow-orange colored wings.
- Viserion – Inspired by Daenerys’s elder brother Viserys, Viserion is noted for his cream and gold colored scales and red-orange wings.
Noteworthy Family Names in Game of Thrones
Another source for Game of Thrones cat names is using one of the names of the noble families:
- Baratheon – House Baratheon traditionally ruled the Stormlands on the eastern coast of Westeros and became the royal house of the Seven Kingdoms after Robert Baratheon led a rebellion against the Targaryen dynasty.
- Greyjoy – The Greyjoy family is based in Pyke and rules over the Iron Islands, a collection of bleak islands off the west coast of Westeros. This is a fun name for a gray cat.
- Lannister – The Lannister family is one of the great houses of Westeros. With their enormous wealth, it is said that “A Lannister always pays his debt.”
- Martell – One of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms, the Martell family rules over Dorne.
- Stark – House Stark of Winterfell is a Great House of Westeros that rules over the vast region known as the North from their home in Winterfell.
- Targaryen – For years the Targaryens served as the ruling family of the Seven Kingdoms. They stand out for their silver-white hair and very fair skin. They are known for their relationship with dragons.
- Tully – House Tully rules over the riverlands from their seat at Riverrun. Their house words are “Family, Duty, Honor.”
- Tyrell – A large, wealthy house, the Tyrells are based in Highgarden and boast a great army.
More Game of Thrones Cat Names
- Dothraki – A race of nomadic horse-mounted warriors in Essos.
- Essos – Essos is the largest of the four known continents in the world and has quite a different culture than Westeros.
- Ice – As in “A Song of Fire and Ice,” the name of the collection of novels by George R. R. Martin.
- Raven – The Three-Eyed Raven is an important and mysterious character. This makes a great name for a black cat.
- Warg – The name for people who have the ability to enter the minds of animals to perceive the world through their senses and control their actions. (Wouldn’t that be a fun power?
- Westeros – One of the four known continents in the known world and home to the Seven Kingdoms. You could call your cat West for short.
- White Walker – White Walkers are an ancient race of humanoid ice creatures who come from the Far North and are ready to wreak havoc on Westeros. This is a fun name for a white cat!
- Winter – Because winter is coming!
Other Ideas for Game of Thrones Cat Names?
Do you have any other great ideas to add to our Game of Thrones cat names list? There’s a ton of rich characters and location to choose from, let us know if we missed any of your favorites.
Did you end up using a Game of Thrones cat name? Let us know!