African Cat Names
by Jessi Klein
Traditional cat names aren’t for everyone. Sometimes you need to shake things up and try something new. One fun idea: African cat names.
Unique and distinct, African cat names offer a fresh take when trying to find a name for your new bundle of fur.
We’ve drawn inspiration from the most popular names in the region, animals in the area and the continent’s incredible geography. Get ready for 100+ amazing African cat names.
Male African Cat Names
These popular male names in Africa also serve as great options for your boy cat. Unique and authentic, it’s a guarantee no other cats in your neighborhood will have one of these names.
Female African Cat Names
The best African cat names are strong, charismatic and reflect the vast, diverse continent. If you’re bringing home a female cat and are interested in such a name, you must check out these popular female names.
African Cat Names Inspired By Large Cats
Africa is home to a collection of large cats found nowhere else in the world. Wild, willful and strong, these large African cats are quite a bit bigger and tougher than your average house cat. Which is why giving your new kitten one of these names is quite entertaining!
- Caracal – This secret and nocturnal African cat weighs 18-40 pounds and is distinguished by its reddish tan or sandy coat.
- Cheetah – The cheetah stands out for its slender body, deep chest and of course its spotted coat. It is commonly found in the most arid parts of Africa.
- Jungle Cat – Despite their name, jungle cats inhabit the tall grasses and reeds of Egypt’s wetlands.
- Leopard – The tough and tenacious leopard can weigh up to 200 pounds and has shorter legs and a longer body compared to other large cats.
- Lion – The lion is perhaps the most iconic of all the large African cat breeds. Weighing up to a whopping 550 pounds, the lion is found throughout Africa and is quite recognizable.
- Panther – Panthera is a classification that includes the following species: lion, tiger, jaguar and leopard. You likely have heard of the black panther, the melanistic color variant of any big cat species. Black panthers in Asia and Africa are leopards.
- Serval – The medium-sized serval is widespread in sub-Saharan countries, except in regions where there is rainforest.
African Cat Names Inspired By Other Indigenous Animals
Africa is home to many unique, stunning animals that could also make interesting cat names. Here are 10+ African cat names inspired by the other wonderful animals on the continent.
African Cat Names Inspired By Geography
And last but not least, you could turn to geography for African cat names. The names of cities, countries, landmarks and other geographic elements provide excellent inspiration.
- Victoria (like Victoria Falls)
- SerengetHow Do You Pick The Right Name?i
And if you want an exotic cat name but aren’t sold yet on any of the ideas above, don’t fret. We’ve got thousands more to choose from. Try our online generator and find the right name for you new cat.
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
Here’s an important question: How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your cat?
After years of helping new cat owners find the perfect name, here are some tips we’ve picked up along the way:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great on paper but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you become set on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue because after all, you’ll be saying it many times a day once the cat joins your family!
- Does it fit your cat? Check to see if the name matches your cat’s personality and appearance before committing to a name.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine calling for your cat with this name? If not, then it’s not the right choice. Move on and select something more appropriate.
- And finally, trust your gut. Ask any new cat owner: when you find the right name, you’ll know it!