The Ultimate List of Grumpy Cat Names – 71 IdeasLast updated: by Jessi Larson
Got a grumpy cat? We’ve got grumpy cat names.
Some cats just perpetually look grumpy, with a naturally scowling face. And others possess a grouchy disposition and bad attitude. (Could we call it “cat-itude”?)
The concept of a grumpy cat really took off a few years ago when a scowling cat named Tardar Sauce went viral. If you haven’t seen all the memes and photos, check them out. They’re hilarious.
If you like the concept and are looking for grumpy cat names, we’ve got the ultimate list.
Fun Grumpy Cat Names
If you’re going to go with a grumpy cat name, you may as well have some fun with it. Here are some cute, silly and even punny ideas.
- Grump (Grumpus) – Why not go literal here and pick Grump or the creative moniker Grumpus?
- Sourpuss – We love how this grumpy cat name naturally incorporates a slang term for cat.
- Sulky – Hey, if your cat likes to sulk, this just might be perfect.
- Surly – The definition of surly is “churlishly rude or bad-tempered.” Sound like your cat?
- Snarky – We love this name for a cat with attitude.
- Prissy – If your cat is a prissy little thing, this just might be perfect.
- Diva – A perfect name for female cats who are a little full of themselves.
- Princess – Another great name for a cat who is in command.
- Curmudgeon – Although this is a mouthful, it definitely sums up the essence of a grumpy cat and could serve as a fun name.
- Cross – A little bit of an old-fashioned term, cross is defined as “
- Groucho – A fun play on grouch, Groucho is an adorable and silly grumpy cat name.
- Griper – If your grumpy cat could talk, it would definitely gripe.
- Grouser – To grouse is to grumble or complain. This is definitely a unique option for grumpy cat names.
- Grandpa/Grandma – If your cat acts old and crabby, why not name them Grandpa or Grandma? Or you can shorten to Gramps and Grannie.
- Tardar Sauce – If you want to pay homage to the granddad of grumpiness, this could be a cool name.
- Crabbypants – Now on to fun names. If your cat is a crank, why not call it like it is? They’re a crabbypants!
- Forrest Grump – Um, how freaking funny is this name?
- Captain Crank – This alliterative moniker is fun and silly.
- Crankenstein – Another punny, fun name.
- Mal Content – Malcontent, a word defined as “not satisfied or content with currently prevailing conditions or circumstances,” sure does sum up a grumpy cat. Break it up into a first and last name for a fun name option.
Old Man Grumpy Cat Names
So, we don’t want to stereotype here, but there are certainly some men who get crabbier as they get older. And for whatever reason, some names of that era just sound grumpier than others. We think these old-school monikers serve as outstanding grumpy cat names.
Old Lady Grumpy Cat Names
The same goes for grumpy old lady names. Certain names are just more crotchety than others. Take these names for example.
‘No’ in Other Languages
Another creative idea for grumpy cat names is to use the word “no” in other languages. It captures the essence of a crabby cat with a unique spin.
- Nyet – (Russian) This name is downright adorable and yet so sassy.
- Nein – (German) How fun is this for a grumpy cat? Say it out loud. Doesn’t it just seem right for a cat with attitude?
- Nee – (Dutch) If you want to go for a softer approach, the Dutch word for “no” is less tough sounding but still gets the point across.
- Non – (French) We love the French version of the word. It’s so sophisticated and cheeky.
Grumpy Cat Names Inspired by Grumpy Characters
And finally, we can’t end a list of the best grumpy cat names without taking a look at other crabby characters.
- Oscar the Grouch – I bet you saw this coming! The resident grumpy pants on Sesame Street, Oscar the Grouch is the green furry creature who lives in a trash can and has quite the ‘tude, especially compared to the other lovable characters.
- Miss Havisham – Going back to your junior high English class, the name Miss Havisham may ring a bell. She is the old spinster in the classic Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations.
- Archie Bunker – Can you believe the things Archie Bunker said on 1970s comedy All in the Family? There’s no way you could get away with saying that stuff today. Luckily, times have changed, but the grumpiness of the Bunker patriarch still lives on.
- Gladys Kravitz – Another classic crabbypants is Gladys Kravitz, the nosy, nagging neighbor on Bewitched.
- Ron Swanson – Moving ahead to modern times, let’s talk about Parks and Recreation, the TV show with some of the most grumpy yet lovable characters of all time. First is Ron Swanson, the the stoic, deadpan director of the department.
- April Ludgate – And then there’s his colleague April Ludgate, the queen of apathy.
- Red Forman – Another famous grump on TV is Red Forman, the dad on That 70s Show.
- Al Bundy – And who could forget Al Bundy, the disenfranchised dad and husband on Married…with Children.
- Sophia Petrillo – Remember the eldest Golden Girl Sophia? She was the hilarious albeit crusty mom to Dorothy.
- Mr. Burns – No one is crabbier or more heartless than Mr. Burns, the evil owner of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant on The Simpsons.
- Patty – Speaking of The Simpsons, Marge’s twin sisters Patty and Selma were quite the negative grumps!
- Selma – The other Simpsons sister.
- Granny Moses – On the old-school comedy The Beverly Hillbillies, Granny Moses rules the roost with shotgun in hand.
- Sue Sylvester – And we can’t have a list of grumpy characters without mentioning Sue Sylvester from Glee. She serves as the ruthless captain of the cheer team and is constantly at odds with the Glee club.
- Carl Fredricksen – Finally, we love the idea of using Carl Fredricksen, or Mr. Fredricksen as he’s called in the animated Disney film Up, as a grumpy cat name. He so perfectly embodies what a lovable grump looks like.